Power Teaching is something that I've dabbled in the past two years. It's classroom managment during instruction and how to engage students. I've done some picking and choosing from what I like about it and are using the "Class - Yes", "Teach - Okay", "Hands and Eyes". At the beginning of the year I introduce the Yada Yada Voice Meter and think since this class is so noisy, I need to return to practicing it. I might even utilize the scoreboard. It's funny how each class has different dynamics and that some things that have always worked just don't with other classes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTwjFHorQhk&feature=related
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wow! What a cool video and teaching method. Power Teaching sounds like it would be great for your "chatty" class. I might even have to try some of the concepts with my high school kids. They'd love having to do hand gestures and talk over everyone at 7:30 in the morning. Ha!
ReplyDeleteWhat challenges, if any, have you faced with this method? My biggest concern, especially with a talkative class, would be the students focusing more on talking over one another than teaching one another the material. I'm interested to hear about Power Teaching with your students. Keep us posted!
Laura,
ReplyDeleteWhen I first starting learning about Power Teaching I watched the YouTubes with high school students. I think it can be used with any grade level. During the Teach - Okay part you have the 1's teaching the 2's and then when you say switch, the 2's teach the 1's. Total reinforcement. You only let them teach each other for a short time otherwise other conversations will start. So far, I like what I've implemented. I'll keep you updated.
Janine...that is really cool. I may have Laura try it out first at the high school before I try it! My problem is not the noisy room but the sleeping children 7th hour! I want them more engaged so maybe this would work! Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteLoved the video link! I had never heard of Power Teaching before. I use some similar techniques when I teach, but I think my squirmy reading group may benefit from some of these techniques. I will definitely need to look for into this. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteLori, Power Teaching has a reading activity called the Crazy Professor Reading Game that I think your squirmy reading group would LOVE.
ReplyDelete