Wednesday, December 8, 2010

It was JUST as expected :)

This blog is in follow up to Amy's request to know how the Math lesson turned out. My gut instinct in taking the time for the kids to build "boxes" with the cubes by giving them various dimensions paid off. We began taking those boxes we made and then drew "plans" on centimeter grid paper. After practicing that for awhile the students were then able to do this on their own with a given set of dimensions. WOW. This went MUCH more smoothly than in years past. I think I could re-write our math book. Or at LEAST give them some tips that actually work in the classroom!!!!
Not really, but it was a very proud teaching moment.

4 comments:

  1. Janine,

    Thanks for the update. I was very excited to hear that with the extra time the students did it on their own and it went great! Glad that you shared your 'teaching moment'.

    This is what I call the 'art' of teaching that is immeasureable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that because I have been delaying a lengthy subtraction activity because it takes about 90 minutes for the little ones to do. However after reading this I went ahead and did the activity this morning. They weren't frustrated at all, they took their time and they made some discoveries that will help them to subtract faster and more accurately. Glad I read this early this morning and went ahead with the lesson. I think I will see better results as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Janine! This is what teaching is all about. It is wonderful to hear the success stories too. Even with Christmas in the air...learning still takes place! Keep up the great work and passion for teaching! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear things turned out so well! I often wonder if publishing companies actually consult with teachers that are currently practicing? It seems that companies employ people who haven't been in the classroom much.

    ReplyDelete